Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Conversations with Dora

Way back when, as a family, we decided that I would be a Stay At Home Mom, we did it because we thought it would be best for our kids (even though we only had 1 at the time). No child care to pay for, no commutes, no hurrying to get 2 adults and however many number of kids out the door at some ungodly hour. And I suppose all of that was true. Well, with the exception of the hurrying out the door part, as we were a 1 car family until only last year, meaning I still had to get a hubby & 3 kids in the car in the morning in order to drop him off at work.

One thing I really didn't consider was having adult conversations. I'm not talking salacious adult conversations, but having a discussion that didn't involve the mention of Blue, Dora, or Sesame Street. Or where a certain child's blocks are.

Or, god forbid, poop.

I consider myself an intelligent person. I'm no Mensa member, but I like to think I have an inquisitive mind and am able to keep myself abreast of current affairs. I've said before that I'm an insatiable reader. I have wasted too many days to count just sitting on my butt reading. Of course, there are certain topics I probably won't have a coherent opinion on...like physics. Or computer programming. But, if I were talking to someone who was interested in those topics, I would most likely pay enough attention to actually get something out of the conversation.

And while conversing with a 3 year old over the virtues of whether or not eating her carrots at dinner will actually keep her eyes 20/20 is fascinating, some days I just miss being able to talk to someone over age 10 and who's taller than 4 foot 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment